[kolla] Focal upgrade

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Thu Aug 27 22:14:57 UTC 2020

 ---- On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 03:08:44 -0500 Mark Goddard <mark at stackhpc.com> wrote ----
 > Hi,
 >
 > For the Victoria release we will be moving our Ubuntu support from
 > Bionic 18.04 to the Focal 20.04 LTS release. This applies to both the
 > base container image and host OS.
 >
 > We would like to request feedback from any Ubuntu users about how they
 > typically deal with a distro upgrade like this. I would assume that
 > the following workflow would be used:
 >
 > 1. start with a Ussuri release on Bionic
 > 2. distro upgrade to Focal
 > 3. OpenStack upgrade to Victoria
 >
 > However, that would imply that it would not be possible to make any
 > more changes to the Ussuri deploy after the Focal upgrade, since Kolla
 > Ansible Ussuri release does not support Focal (it is blocked by
 > prechecks).
 >
 > An alternative approach is:
 >
 > 1. start with a Ussuri release on Bionic
 > 2. OpenStack upgrade to Victoria
 > 3. distro upgrade to Focal

I am not ubuntu user or not done such upgrade but I think later approach is a better way. Ussuri release for
sure will not work on Focal ( by seeing the fixes in various projects for Focal migration.). Victoria still is
tested on Bionic so it is surly tested till we move our testing to Focal.

-gmann