Using os_token

Eric K. Miller emiller at genesishosting.com
Fri Aug 21 08:29:30 UTC 2020

I happened to run across an unrelated github issue:
https://github.com/terraform-providers/terraform-provider-openstack/issu
es/271

which gave me a clue to what I was missing.  I needed to include some
additional variables (see steps 7 through 9 below).

Revised steps - which works fine with the OpenStack Client:
0) set appropriate OS_* variables for password authentication
1) create a token using "openstack token issue"
2) unset all OS_* environment variables
3) set OS_TOKEN to the token's value provided in #1
4) set OS_AUTH_TYPE to "v3token"
5) set OS_AUTH_URL to the respective KeyStone endpoint
6) set OS_IDENTITY_API_VERSION to "3"
7) set OS_PROJECT_DOMAIN_ID as appropriate
8) set OS_PROJECT_NAME as appropriate
9) set OS_REGION_NAME as appropriate
10) use the CLI as normal

This shaves anywhere from 0.2 to 0.6 seconds off of a test command I'm
running when compared to password authentication (which normally takes
about 2.5 seconds to run), where a new token is issued each time.

openstack token revoke works as expected too.

Eric