[simplification] Making ask.openstack.org read-only

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Aug 19 00:03:59 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-19 09:52:47 +1000 (+1000), Ian Wienand wrote:
[...]
> *If* we were to restore it now, it looks like 0.11 branch comes with
> an upstream Dockerfile [1]; there's lots of examples now in
> system-config of similar container-based production sites and this
> could fit in.
>
> This makes it significantly easier than trying to build up everything
> it requires from scratch, and if upstream keep their container
> compatible (a big if...) theoretically less work to keep updated.
[...]

Which also brings up another point: right now we're running it on
Ubuntu Xenial (16.04 LTS) which is scheduled to reach EOL early next
year, and the tooling we're using to deploy it isn't going to work
on newer Ubuntu releases. Even keeping it up in a read-only state is
timebound to how long we can safely keep its server online. If we
switch ask.openstack.org to read-only now, I would still plan to
turn it off entirely on or before April 1, 2021.
--
Jeremy Stanley