[all] [kolla] Kolla Builder - next generation

Radosław Piliszek radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 13:24:01 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 9:12 PM Mohammed Naser <mnaser at vexxhost.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 5:15 AM Mark Goddard <mark at stackhpc.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 at 15:10, Radosław Piliszek
> > <radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The above effort could well be coordinated with different projects to
> > > reuse bindep contents. So far Kolla does not use bindep because it
> > > often installs too much and not enough at the same time.
> > > Do note it would still be bindep-less for external services.
> >
> > I like the idea of using bindep for source images, in combination with
> > multi-stage builds. If we could reduce the length of our package
> > dependency lists by relying on bindep, that would be a nice win.
> > Ideally, between distro package dependencies and bindep, we would need
> > to specify few additional packages.
>
> I think this is a golden ticket of what I'm trying to accomplish and this is
> what OpenDev is currently doing.  Ideally, there _should_ be no distro package
> dependencies because they should all be modeled inside bindep (using different
> profiles if needed).
>
> I still think that if we do this, there is a lot of value in being
> able to do this in-repo
> because those Dockerfile's will be pretty static.  While I appreciate
> that Kolla has
> all sorts of neat things to customize images, for a certain operator
> base, they'd
> much rather either have a Dockerfile to build off of or an existing base image
> somewhere.
>
> Kolla could be the thing that drives this, Kolla could become
> "OpenStack containers",
> or parts of it could be.  However, I think the "customization bits"
> should ideally stay
> outside of the scope of this, because we just want to publish an artifact with
> dependencies installed.

I think we all agree here that bindep is the way to go and whatever we
decide on should include "better bindep experience".
Could we collect together some concrete ideas how to make the bindep
better? (and then suddenly bindep sig appears out of nowhere :O )
I guess Kolla is a great source especially for optional runtime bindep
entries, though it can really only offer names of packages per distro
rather than insight why they are used (except for git archaelogy of
course).
We could collaborate with each project to discover real relations between these.
Making bindep better would benefit all efforts of deployment (with
devstack included) so it's a win-win.

For the purpose of this discussion I use the term "bindep" for the
bindep.txt but obviously it could mean improving the tool as well.
There is a lot to encode:
- build time / run time - this is already doable with tags and rather
pretty clean, except for no linkage between the two concepts (which is
what I tried to attack by "feature" concept)
- applicable distro - rather supported
- whether optional and when to use (think extras in setup.cfg) -
rather supported, wonder if in the cleanest way, but it worked for
oslo.cache gate to define functional tests based on backend
Any others?

-yoctozepto