[tc][election] campaign discussion: how TC can solve the less contributor issue?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Apr 6 23:09:34 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-06 21:50:01 +0000 (+0000), Nikolla, Kristi wrote:
[...]
> With regards to non-corporate: You can't really contribute to a
> project effectively (or even feel the motivation to) if you're not
> using it or integrating with it in some form. All the
> documentation in the world is not going to help with that.
[...]

Yes, I don't see this as all that different from other open source
projects, actually. Some users of your software will contribute to
it when they see things which need fixing, changing or implementing.
The confusion which seems to arise is that in the case of software
like OpenStack, its primary users are businesses and other
medium-to-large organizations, not individuals and hobbyists. And in
fact some of our ancillary subprojects which are small utilities
used outside these environments see contributions from more diverse
sets of users. So if we want contributions from different places,
what we should be asking is how do we change who uses the software.

> With regards to corporate developer resources: I guess more
> outreach to sponsoring companies and being more persuasive. But,
> I'm not at all versed in the business-y side of things, so I defer
> to other folks on that one.
[...]

After getting feedback from the OSF BoD, hope was that the Upstream
Investment Opportunities documents would help fill that gap:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/upstream-investment-opportunities/

--
Jeremy Stanley