[tc][election] campaign discussion: how TC can solve the less contributor issue?

Nikolla, Kristi knikolla at bu.edu
Mon Apr 6 21:50:01 UTC 2020

> On Apr 6, 2020, at 4:16 PM, Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com> wrote:
>
> ---- On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 11:23:10 -0500 Nikolla, Kristi <knikolla at bu.edu> wrote ----
>> Hi Ghanshyam,
>>
>> Unfortunately, OpenStack is still for the most part corporate in terms of developer resources. It sort of makes sense, it's a cloud platform, and you need a certain scale to justify the costs for learning, adopting and operating. I probably wouldn't be contributing now if my first introduction to OpenStack wasn't as part of my job operating and developing a cloud.
>>
>> I don't see a clear path to solve that, but I see a few potential ways to help.
>>
>> 1. Advertising and marketing the viability of specific OpenStack projects as standalone tools. I can see value for someone needing a volume service, and if Cinder: a) fits the requirements b) is easy to deploy and learn (eg., well documented standalone use case and tested) c) brings a minimum set of cruft with it. This might encourage more people to use it and encourage wider adoption of the other OpenStack projects if their experience is a good one, with OpenStack becoming a trusted toolbox.
>
> +1 on this. If someone seeing OpenStack as all 52 projects together then they will just go way from it. ONAP was one of good example to learn from it in term of modularity on use cases side.
>

>> 2. Making sure we invest more time and effort on documentation. Especially with regards to information on getting started, best practices in terms of architecture, configuration and deployment, and of course contributors guides. We're already a very friendly and welcoming community.
>
> Contributors guide has been improved a lot and Upstream training, mentorship program, FC SIG doing the continuous effort for many years to get new people
> onboard but that only not solving this issue. Do you think we still lack on helping new contributors onboard or something more interesting idea to attract them?

With regards to non-corporate: You can't really contribute to a project effectively (or even feel the motivation to) if you're not using it or integrating with it in some form. All the documentation in the world is not going to help with that. That's why I think the other 2 points that I mentioned are important.

With regards to corporate developer resources: I guess more outreach to sponsoring companies and being more persuasive. But, I'm not at all versed in the business-y side of things, so I defer to other folks on that one.