[tc][election] campaign discussion: how TC can solve the less contributor issue?

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Mon Apr 6 19:45:30 UTC 2020

On 05/04/2020 02:09, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> This topic is a very important and critical area to solve in the OpenStack community.
> I personally feel and keep raising this issue wherever I get the opportunity.
>
> To develop or maintain any software, the very first thing we need is to have enough developer resources.
> Without enough developers (either open or closed source), none of the software can survive.
>
> OpenStack current situation on contributors is not the same as it was few years back.  Almost every
> project is facing the less contributor issue as compare to requirements and incoming requests. Few
> projects already dead or going to be if we do not solve the less contributors issue now.
>
> I know, TC is not directly responsible to solve this issue but we should do something or at least find
> the way who can solve this.
>
> What do you think about what role TC can play to solve this? What platform or entity can be used by TC to
> raise this issue? or any new crazy Idea?
>

> -gmann

This has been my hobby horse for a while :)

Honestly, we need to highlight how people *using* OpenStack can
contribute. As Artom correctly noted in a message above, we are pretty
reliant on paid contributors, and with some of the traditional vendors
pulling back we should be diversifying our reach to people who have
traditionally felt it was too difficult to contribute.

Also - (and this is Graham with his personal hat on, not his TC hat)
I think that any company that is a high level sponsor of the foundation,
and derives value from OpenStack should be pushing resources back
upstream, and not just in sponsorship money.

Some of the smaller foundation members donate not just CI resources
to opendev, but also developers, and upstream contributions. This
should be the done thing across all members.

As part of this, we (the TC) should be able to say to these companies
where the most value would be for contribution, which is something I
think we have gotten a lot better at.