[all] Curating the openstack org on GitHub

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Wed Apr 1 16:26:57 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 06:04:48PM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Herve Beraud wrote:
> > What do you think about creating a new openstack archive organization
> > github.com/openstack-archive/ <http://github.com/openstack-archive/> (or
> > thing like that) and tranfert them to this organization?
> >
> > Github properly manage redirection and transfert, it could be a proper
> > way to keep projects reachable for searching with the github search
> > engine (for some reasons) and to allow us to clean things on
> > github.com/openstack <http://github.com/openstack>.
>
> The trick is that transfer is (if documentation is to be trusted) an async
> process involving the new owner clicking a link in an email to accept the
> transferred repository. Since this has to be done for 1,130 repositories
> (not even counting openstack-dev and openstack-attic), I don't think that
> would be practical...

This is true unless the user doing the transfer is an owner on both sides of
the transfer. Then it should just be a matter of pushing the button/making the
API request and there is no confirmation needed (I did this just the other
day, transferring a repo from my personal account to an organization I'm an
owner of).

-Matt Treinish