[all] Curating the openstack org on GitHub

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Apr 1 16:04:48 UTC 2020

Herve Beraud wrote:
> What do you think about creating a new openstack archive organization
> github.com/openstack-archive/ <http://github.com/openstack-archive/> (or
> thing like that) and tranfert them to this organization?
>
> Github properly manage redirection and transfert, it could be a proper
> way to keep projects reachable for searching with the github search
> engine (for some reasons) and to allow us to clean things on
> github.com/openstack <http://github.com/openstack>.

The trick is that transfer is (if documentation is to be trusted) an
async process involving the new owner clicking a link in an email to
accept the transferred repository. Since this has to be done for 1,130
repositories (not even counting openstack-dev and openstack-attic), I
don't think that would be practical...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)