[all][elections][ptl] Combined Project Team Lead and Technical Committee Election Conclusion and Results

Jean-Philippe Evrard jean-philippe at evrard.me
Wed Sep 4 10:27:37 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-09-04 at 10:32 +0100, Chris Dent wrote:

> We need to talk about the fact that there was no opportunity to vote
> in these "elections" (PTL or TC) because there were insufficient
> candidates.
> (snipped)

I think people agreed on reducing the TC members to 9.
This will not change things fundamentally, but will open the chance for
elections.

> We can't claim any "seem" about it any more: OpenStack governance
> and leadership structures do not fit and we need to figure out
> the necessary adjustments.

I will propose a series of adjustments, but these are not crazy ideas.
I would like to brainstorm that with you, as I might have some more
crazy ideas.

We drastically need to change the expectations we place on ourselves
> in terms of velocity.

I think there are a few ideas floating around. OpenStack is more stable
nowadays too. I want to bring more fun and less pressure in OpenStack.

This is something the TC will need to speak with the foundation, as it
might impact them (impact on events for example). Good that we have
some members on the foundation onboard :)

> Since there was no need to vote, there was no need to campaign,
> which means we will be missing out on the Q&A period.

In fact I was looking forward the Q&A. I am weirdly not considering
myself elected without this! AMA :)

> What do you think we, as a community, can do about the situation
> described above? What do you as a TC member hope to do yourself?

This is by far too big to answer in a single email, and I would prefer
if we split that into a different thread(s), if you don't mind :)

My candidacy letter also wants to address some of those points, but not
all of them, so I am glad you're raising them.

What I would like to see: changes in the TC, changes in the release
cadence, tech debt reduction, make the code (more) fun to deal with,
allow us to try new things.

Regards,
JP