[all][elections][ptl] Combined Project Team Lead and Technical Committee Election Conclusion and Results

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Wed Sep 4 09:32:59 UTC 2019

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019, Jeremy Stanley wrote:

> Thank you to all candidates who put their name forward for Project
> Team Lead (PTL) and Technical Committee (TC) in this election. A
> healthy, open process breeds trust in our decision making capability
> thank you to all those who make this process possible.

Congratulations and thank you to the people taking on these roles.

We need to talk about the fact that there was no opportunity to vote
in these "elections" (PTL or TC) because there were insufficient
candidates. No matter the quality of new leaders (this looks like a
good group), something is amiss. We danced around these issue for
the two years I was on the TC, but we never did anything concrete to
significantly change things, carrying on doing things in the same
way in a world where those ways no longer seemed to fit.

We can't claim any "seem" about it any more: OpenStack governance
and leadership structures do not fit and we need to figure out
the necessary adjustments.

I haven't got any new ideas (which is part of why I left the TC).
My position has always been that with a vendor and enterprise led
project like OpenStack, where those vendors and enterprises are
operating in a huge market, staffing the commonwealth in a healthy
fashion is their responsibility. In large part because they are
responsible for making OpenStack resistant to "casual" contribution
in the first place (e.g., "hardware defined software").

We get people, sometimes, but it is not healthy:

     i may see different cross-sections of the community than others
     do, but i feel like there's been a strong tone of burnout since
     2012 [1]

We drastically need to change the expectations we place on ourselves
in terms of velocity.

[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2019-09-04.log.html#t2019-09-04T00:26:35

>  Ghanshyam Mann (gmann)
>  Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)
>  Jay Bryant (jungleboyj)
>  Kevin Carter (cloudnull)
>  Kendall Nelson (diablo_rojo)
>  Nate Johnston (njohnston)

Since there was no need to vote, there was no need to campaign,
which means we will be missing out on the Q&A period. I've found
those very useful for understanding the issues that are present in
the community and for generating ideas on what to about them. I
think it is good to have that process anyway so I'll start:

What do you think we, as a community, can do about the situation
described above? What do you as a TC member hope to do yourself?

Thanks

freenode: cdent