[kuryr] [tc] kuryr project mission

Michał Dulko mdulko at redhat.com
Tue Oct 29 08:52:15 UTC 2019

Hi,

It's been more than a year after fuxi [1] and fuxi-kubernetes [2] were
declared as retired. First one was supposed to integrate Docker with
Cinder and Manila. The second was aiming to do the same with
Kubernetes.

I'm not really sure how to serve the first use case, but it seems like
there are some alternatives [3], [4]. fuxi-kubernetes use case is now
served by Cloud Provider OpenStack in Cinder [5] and Manila [6] CSI
plugins, which seem like a much better fit.

Currently the only maintained deliverables in kuryr project are kuryr,
kuryr-libnetwork and kuryr-kubernetes. All of them are related to
networking. Given that I'd like to propose rephrasing Kuryr mission
statement from:

> Bridge between container framework networking and storage models
> to OpenStack networking and storage abstractions.

> Bridge between container framework networking models
> to OpenStack networking abstractions.

effectively getting storage out of project scope.

Are there any thoughts or objections? Maybe someone sees a better
phrasing?

Thanks,
Michał

[1] https://opendev.org/openstack/fuxi