[tc][all] Ussuri community goal candidate 1: 'Project Specific New Contributor & PTL Docs'

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 19:26:48 UTC 2019

On 10/22/19 08:13, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> We are starting the next step for the Ussuri Cycle Community Goals. We have four candidates till now as proposed in
> etherpad[1].
>
> The first candidate is "Project Specific New Contributor & PTL Docs".  Kendall (diablo_rojo) volunteered to lead this goal
> as Champion.  Thanks to her for stepping up for this job.
>
> This idea was brought up during Train cycle goal discussions also[2]. The idea here is to have a consistent and mandatory
> contributors guide in each project which will help new contributors to get onboard in upstream activities.
> Also, create PTL duties guide on the project's side. Few projects might have the PTL duties documented and making it
> consistent and for all projects is something easy for transferring the knowledge.
> Kendall can put up more details and highlights based on queries.
>
> We would like to open this idea to get wider feedback from the community and projects team before we start defining
> the goal in Gerrit. What do you think of this as a community goal? Any query or Improvement Feedback?

I wrote what I call a "chronological PTL guide" for nova [3], which was
originally a local google doc I had used while I was PTL. I converted
and published it as an in-tree nova doc in case it would be helpful to
others.

I think having a PTL guide doc is nice and could potentially make it
easier for new or prospective PTLs to learn what is involved in the duties.

-melanie

[3] https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/contributor/ptl-guide.html