Release Cycle Observations

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Oct 9 10:40:54 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-10-09 at 12:04 +0200, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 10:31 AM Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On 10/1/19 12:05 PM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> > >

> > > On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 10:47 PM Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org
> > > <mailto:zigo at debian.org>> wrote:
> > >
> > >     On 9/26/19 9:51 PM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> > >     >> I know we'd like to have everyone CD'ing master
> > >     >
> > >     > Watch who you're lumping in with the "we" statement. ;)
> > >
> > >     You've pinpointed what the problem is.
> > >
> > >     Everyone but OpenStack upstream would like to stop having to upgrade
> > >     every 6 months.
im not sure that is true. i think if upgrades where as easy as a yum update or apt upgrade
people would not mind 6 month or shorter upgrade cycle but even though tooling has imporoved
we are a long way from upgrades being trivial.

> > > Yep, but the same "everyone" want to have features now or better
> > > yesterday, not in 2-3 years ;)
yes and this is a double edge sword in more ways then one.
we have a large proportion of our customer base that are only now upgrading to
queens from Newton. so they are already running a 2-3 year out of date
openstack and when they upgrade they would also like all the features that were
only added in train backported to Queens which is our current LTS donwstream.

Our internal data on deployments more or less shows that most non lts releases downstream
are ignored by larger customers createing a pressure to backport features that we cant resonably
do given our current tooling and desire to not create a large fork.

> > This probably was the case a few years ago, when OpenStack was young.
> > Now that it has matured, and has all the needed features, things have
> > changed a lot.

i dont think it has. i think many of the need feature are now avaiable in master although
looking at our downstream back log there are also a lot of feature that are not avilable.
the issue is that because upgrading has been so painful for many for so long they are
not willing in many case to go to the latest release. maybe in another 2 years time this statement
will be more correct as the majority of clouds will be running stien+(i hope).