[all][tc][ptl] "Meet the project leaders" opportunities in Shanghai

Goutham Pacha Ravi gouthampravi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 17:00:41 UTC 2019

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 6:40 AM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2019-10-07 08:40:01 +0000 (+0000), Alexandra Settle wrote:
> > On Fri, 2019-10-04 at 18:07 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > > On 2019-10-04 12:52:34 -0500 (-0500), Eric Fried wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > The goal, as I understand it, is to reinforce to attendees in
> > > China that OpenStack project leadership is accessible and
> > > achievable, by providing opportunities for them to be able to
> > > meet and speak in-person with a representative cross-section of
> > > our community leaders. Is that something which can be delegated?
> > > Seems to me it might convey the opposite of what's intended, but
> > > I don't know if my impression is shared by others.
> >
> > That was indeed my intention with the initial idea proposal.
> > Conceptually, the meetup would be to break down any preconceived
> > notions that individuals may have.
> >
> > Of course, that isn't to say that there aren't many leaders in the
> > community that don't hold an _official_ position. It's mostly to
> > put a face to a name, to create open communication channels. I'd
> > say it's up the the team's discretion as to whether or not they'd
> > like to delegate the presence at this meetup.
>
> Of course, I should have clarified. I think providing folks the
> opportunity to meet and speak with a Nova core reviewer is great.
> It's definitely a type of leadership we prize highly in our
> community and want to encourage more of. Being "the person who
> showed up on behalf of the Nova PTL because they're not present"
> doesn't really make the Nova PTL position any more approachable on
> the other hand. If anything, it seems to me that it might reinforce
> the impression it's a distant and unachievable position.

Sure hope it doesn't. I support the concept behind this and would love to
be there, but cannot, because I'm unable to travel to Shanghai. Many of the
PTL-driven tasks at the event for Manila have been delegated to project
maintainers that are attending. I would like to find a suitable lead for
this too, along with encouraging all core reviewers that are in attendance
to be part of these events: the mixer and the lunch.