[nova][ptg] Ussuri scope containment

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Thu Oct 3 10:10:54 UTC 2019

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 06:09:16PM -0500, Eric Fried wrote:
> Nova developers and maintainers-

[...]

> I'd like to try a couple more.
>
> (A) Constrain scope, drastically. We marked 25 blueprints complete in
> Train [3]. Since there has been no change to the core team, let's
> limit Ussuri to 25 blueprints [4]. If this turns out to be too few,
> what's the worst thing that happens? We finish everything, early, and
> wish we had done more. If that happens, drinks are on me, and we can
> bump the number for V.

I welcome scope reduction, focusing on fewer features, stability, and
bug fixes than "more gadgetries and gongs".  Which also means: less
frenzy, less split attention, fewer mistakes, more retained
concentration, and more serenity.  And, yeah, any reasonable person
would read '25' as _an_ educated limit, rather than some "optimal
limit".

If we end up with bags of "spare time", there's loads of tech-debt
items, performance (it's a feature, let's recall) issues, and meaningful
clean-ups waiting to be tackled.

[...]

--
/kashyap