[nova][ptg] Ussuri scope containment

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Wed Oct 2 20:46:23 UTC 2019

> Extraction of placement and departure of Jay are drastic, IMHO. But this
> is just the kind of thing I really wanted to avoid attempting to
> quantify -- see below.

I'm pretty sure Jay wasn't doing 60% of the reviews in Nova, justifying
an equivalent drop in our available throughput. Further, I thought
splitting out placement was supposed to *reduce* the load on the nova
core team? If anything that was a time sink that is now finished,
placement is off soaring on its own merits and we have a bunch of
resource back as a result, no?

> I'd love to discuss suggestions for other numbers, or other concrete
> mechanisms for saying "no" for reasons of resource rather than technical
> merit. My bid (as of [1]) is 30 approved, shooting for 25 completed
> (83%, approx the peak of the above numbers). Go.

How about approved specs require a majority (or some larger-than-two
number) of the cores to +2 it to indicate "yes we should do this, and
yes we should do it this cycle"? Some might argue that this unfairly
weight efforts that have a lot of cores interested in seeing them land,
instead of the actual requisite two, but it sounds like that's what
you're shooting for?

--Dan