AW: [gnocchi][telemetry][ceilometer][cloudkitty] Gnocchi unmaintained

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Nov 22 08:28:27 UTC 2019

On 11/21/19 4:29 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2019-11-21 13:57:56 +0000 (+0000), Sean Mooney wrote:
>> On Thu, 2019-11-21 at 13:29 +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
>>> With my Debian OpenStack package maintainer hat on: I will
>>> certainly ignore any backend that would be using MongoDB or
>>> InfluxDB, as these cannot be used without non-debian packages.
>>
>> influxdb is mit licensed so im not sure why you would not be able
>> to package or redistribute it in debian.
> [...]
>
> And indeed, it's been packaged in Debian for years, and still is:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/influxdb
>
> The main concern about it is the open-core development model where
> "advanced" features like stability and redundancy require you to
> purchase their proprietary enterprise version instead of the less
> full-featured (but freely-licensed) community version:
>
> https://www.influxdata.com/blog/update-on-influxdb-clustering-high-availability-and-monetization/

And we also should remember one of the reason that spawned OpenStack
into existence: some other cloud solution was open-core, and there was
multiple conflict of interest where upstream made it difficult to
contribute (because they needed to differentiate commercially). That
very much is the main issue of any software adopting the open-core
model: conflict of interest by the company behind it.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)