[dev] Upgrading flake8 to support f-strings

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Nov 21 19:43:01 UTC 2019

On 11/21/19 12:15 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2019-11-21 17:54:32 +0000 (+0000), Stephen Finucane wrote:
> [...]
>> Unfortunately, flake8 3.x is a total rewrite and I haven't found a
>> way to port things across.
> [...]
>> I'm flat out of ideas on that so someone other than me is going to
>> have to take this migration upon themselves or we're going to have
>> to drop hacking so we can use a new flake8.
> [...]
>
> Oof, yes I guess it's high time to discuss this (sorry if there was
> a prior ML thread about it which I missed). So I guess the options
> I can see are:
>
> A. keep running woefully outdated flake8 and friends (isn't working)
>
> B. overhaul hacking to work as a file-level analyzer plug-in
>
> C. improve flake8 to support string-level analyzer plug-ins
>
> D. separate hacking back out so it's no longer a flake8 plug-in
>
> E. stop running hacking entirely and rely on other flake8 plug-ins
>
> Anything else? For sake of simplicity I'd favor option E. In our
> present reality where most folks already have far too much work on
> their respective plates, having one less project to maintain makes
> some measure of sense. Does hacking currently save teams more than
> enough effort to balance out the amount of effort involved in
> keeping it working with newer software?

That would be unfortunate since I know some teams have extensive custom
hacking rules to help out their reviewers[0]. That said, I'm not signing
up to figure out how to make hacking work with modern flake8 and if the
project is broken with no one to fix it then it's all academic. :-/

0: https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/hacking/checks.py