[placement][nova][ptg] resource provider affinity

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Fri May 3 17:02:00 UTC 2019

On May 3, 2019, at 8:22 AM, Tetsuro Nakamura <tetsuro.nakamura.bc at hco.ntt.co.jp> wrote:

> I have looked into recursive SQL CTE (common table expression) feature which help us treat subtree easily in adjacency list model in a experimental patch [2],
> but unfortunately it looks like the feature is still experimental in MySQL, and we don't want to query like this per every candidates, do we? :(

At the risk of repeating myself, SQL doesn’t model the relationships among entities involved with either nested providers or shared providers. These relationships are modeled simply in a graph database, avoiding the gymnastics needed to fit them into a relational DB.

I have a working model of Placement that has already solved nested providers (any depth), shared providers, project usages, and more. If you have time while at PTG, grab me and I’d be happy to demonstrate.

-- Ed Leafe