[nova][qa] Does nova need to run the nv tempest-multinode-full job?

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue Mar 26 14:53:05 UTC 2019

 ---- On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 12:27:22 -0500 Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote ----
 > On 3/24/2019 8:50 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
 > > I did diff of those jobs tests run and below are the coverage nova is going to lose with
 > > removing the tempest-multinode-full.
 > >
 > > - test_server_multinode :https://github.com/openstack/tempest/blob/a955095f8369e2e15c97a536edc1a9c077208129/tempest/scenario/test_server_multinode.py
 > >
 > > - test_cold_migration, test_revert_cold_migration:https://github.com/openstack/tempest/blob/16e4005dfcbd6b1aa68a1a1c0187b0af9cc70650/tempest/api/compute/admin/test_migrations.py
 > >
 > > - test_servers_on_multinodes:https://github.com/openstack/tempest/blob/7a588ded216f74ddd0015c3065d4fae10de2161f/tempest/api/compute/admin/test_servers_on_multinodes.py
 >
 > I'm not sure if there is anything in those tests that we don't already
 > have sufficient in-tree functional test coverage for the mechanics of
 > the operation being tested, in other words, if those tests don't rely on
 > specifics in the virt driver being used, we should have similar coverage
 > already in-tree.

If we have the same coverage in functional test then question comes why we have
such heavy tests as integration tests ? I think these were added for nova specific testing
only.

My other concern is that after removing the this job, nova gate would not have integration testing
running on multinode env even tests are multinode specific or single node one and any future non-slow
multinode tests will not be running. I see the benefit of running single nodes operation on multinode env
for nova multinode arch.

If the job is not stable then, we can work on making it stable but that's not the case seems. That job is voting
on tempest side for long time.

-gmann