[placement] update 19-10

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Mar 15 14:06:02 UTC 2019

HTML: https://anticdent.org/placement-update-19-10.html

Placement update 19-10 is here. We're fast approaching placement's
first official release.

# Most Important

There are several tasks left before we can cut the release, mostly
related to documentation and other writing related things. I've
attempted to enumerate them in a "Prepping the RC" section below.
These are things that need to be done before next Thursday,
preferably sooner.

It's also important to be thinking about how placement would like to
engage (as a group) with the PTG (the Forum is already decided:
there will be an extraction related Forum session).

# What's Changed

* Oh, hey, I'm, like, the placement PTL. Mel and I decided early in
   the week that whatever the official timetable, I'll take the baton
   from here. Thanks to everyone who helped to get placement to where
   we are now.

* The stack of code that got rid of the List classes in favor of
   module level methods, which also happened to move each "object"
   type to its own module, has merged. I'm glad we got this in before
   release as it ought to make debugging and digging around a bit
   easier.

* Lots of little documentation tuneups (from [story
   2005190](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2005190)) have
   merged, including pointing to storyboard for bugs. These chanages
   scrape the surface of what remains (listed below).

* I wrote up a blog post on [profiling wsgi
   apps](https://anticdent.org/profiling-wsgi-apps.html) which I'd
   been doing to confirm that the many refactorings that have
   happened recently weren't having a negative impact (they are not).

* We decided to wait for Train for the
   [negative-member-of](https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/negative-aggregate-membership)
   functionality and the [allocation
   ratio](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/640898/) change in
   osc-placement.

* Kolla has merged several changes for extracted placement. Thanks!

# Specs/Blueprint/Features

Skipping this section until after the release candidate(s) are done.

# Bugs

We've got a StoryBoard [project
group](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project_group/placement)
now. I've started using it. Tagging bugs with `bug` and also making
use of a `cleanup` tag to indicate things that needs to be cleaned
up. There are worklists for both of these:

* [bugs](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/574)
* [cleanups](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/575)

Please be prepared for these structures to evolve as we gain some
understanding of how StoryBoard works.

There are still bugs in launchpad and we need to continue to watch
there:

* Placement related [bugs not yet in progress](https://goo.gl/TgiPXb):13.
   No change.
* [In progress placement bugs](https://goo.gl/vzGGDQ) 7. -2.

Many of these are about nova's use of placement. At some point after
RC we should do a bug review, and port placement-only things to
StoryBoard.

# osc-placement

osc-placement is currently behind by 13 microversions.

Pending changes:

* [support for 1.19](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/641094/)
* [support for 1.21](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/641123/)
* [aggregate allocation ratio
   tool](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/640898/)

# Prepping the RC

Things that need to happen so we can cut a placement release
candidate:

* Anything currently open that we want in. There are only 6 pending
   patches that might be options (everything else is either waiting
   for Train or already +W), so a quick look [at
   them](https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/placement+status:open)
   is worth the effort.

* We've started a cycle-highlights etherpad, as announced by [this
   email](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-March/003831.html).
   We've probably got enough, but feel free to add to it if you think
   of something.

* There's a story for [preparing placement docs for
   stein](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2005190). The
   story includes several tasks, many of which are already merged.
   Have a look and assign yourself a task if you can commit to having
   it done by early next week. There are some biggies:

     * Creating the canonical how to upgrade from placement-in-nova
       to placement-in-placement document. As stated very well by
       Tetsuoro, this is effectively translating the [grenade upgrade
       script](http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/grenade/tree/projects/60_nova/from-rocky/upgrade-nova)
       to English.

     * Ensuring the install docs are sane and complete. [I have
       asked](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-March/003783.html)
       packaging-related people for their input, as they're the ones
       who know how their packages are (or will be) set up, but
       there's also an "install from-pypi" hole that needs to be
       filled.

* The
   [releasenotes](https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/release-management.html#when-to-add-release-notes)
   need to be evaluated for correctness and effective annotation of
   upgrade concerns. They will also need a prelude, probably pointing
   to the "upgrading from nova" doc mentioned above. For a sample,
   see nova's [rocky prelude](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/589303/).

# Main Themes

We'll come back to themes once the RC is cut.

# Other Placement

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:cd/gabbi-tempest-job>
   Gabbi-based integration tests of placement. These recently found a
   bug that none of the functional, grenade, nor tempest tests did.
   Not release related, but useful testing.

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/negative-aggregate-membership>
   Negative member of aggregate filtering resource providers and
   allocation candidates. Holding until Train opens.

# Other Service Users

We'll also hold off here until the RC is cut. In the future if you
stick "placement" somewhere in your commit message I'll probably
eventually find your in-progress placement-related changes.

# End

Once the release is released, it will be time to start thinking
about what we want Train to look like. There are pending Stein
feature specs that we will want to do (and will need to be put in
our specs directory, once it exists), but other than the various
ideas about ways to do multi-nova/cloud partitioning of resource
providers and multi-service partitioning of allocations (both of
which need much more well-defined uses cases before we start
thinking about the solutions) I've not heard a lot of clamouring
from services and operators for features in Placement. If you have
heard, or are clamouring, please make yourself known. I'd personally
like us to focus on enabling existing services that use or want to
use placement (nova, neutron, blazar, cyborg) and its existing
features rather than new features. No need to have any immediate
thoughts or decisions on this, but some background thinking is
warranted.

Also, OMG, we need a logo. How about an Australian Magpie? They make
a cool noise.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYEYc8Ge3nw>