[packaging][placement][docs] placement install docs

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Wed Mar 13 18:24:33 UTC 2019

There are some rudimentary placement install docs [1]. I say
rudimentary because as far as I know they haven't been validated
against reality in any way.

They started out as copies of the docs that had lived in nova for
rocky [2] with adaptations to address what seemed the likely names
for the placement-related packages that will exist at some point.

In January I posted a message [3] asking for feedback on the docs
from people familiar with the RDO, Ubuntu and SUSE packages for
feedback and verification. Unless I missed it, that didn't happen.

We'll be cutting an RC1 of placement some time next week (the week
of 18 March) and I'd like these docs to either be accurate or
marked up in a way that expresses when they will become accurate.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who think that placement
packages are important and hope to have useful documentation for
using them. Can some of those people please step forward and help
out here, or let me know what needs to happen to get things in
reasonable form?

I haven't used packages to manage placement, ever, and I suspect
that's the case of most of the regular palcement contributors as
well, so I am (and they are) not well-positioned to figure this
stuff out on our lonesomes.

Thanks for your help.

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/placement/latest/install/
[2] for example, ubuntu: https://docs.openstack.org/nova/rocky/install/controller-install-ubuntu.html