[release] Release countdown for week R-3, March 18-22

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Mar 14 17:19:55 UTC 2019

Another busy week. We are getting to the end of the Stein release cycle, so
please read through for important actions needed as we prepare for wrapping
things up.

Development Focus
-----------------

The Release Candidate (RC) deadline is this Thursday, the 21st. Work should be
focused on any release-critical bugs and wrapping up and finalizing feature
work.

General Information
-------------------

All cycle-with-rc and cycle-with-intermediary projects should cut their
stable/stein branch by the end of the week. This branch will track the Stein
release.

Once stable/stein has been created, master will will be ready to switch to
Train development. While master will no longer be frozen, please prioritize any
work necessary for completing Stein plans. Please also keep in mind there will
be stein patches competing with any new Train work to make it through the gate.

Changes can be merged into stable/stein as needed if deemed necessary for an
RC2. Once Stein is released, stable/stein will also be ready for any stable
point releases. Whether fixing something for another RC, or in preparation of a
future stable release, fixes must be merged to master first, then backported to
stable/stein.

Actions
---------

Early in the week, the release team will be proposing RC1 patches for all
cycle-with-rc projects, using the latest commit from master. If your team is
ready to go for cutting RC1, please let us know by leaving a +1 on these
patches.

If there are still a few more patches needed before RC1, you can -1 the patch
and update it later in the week with the new commit hash you would like to use.
Remember, stable/stein branches will be created with this, so you will want to
make sure you have what you need included to avoid needing to backport changes
from master (which will technically then be Train) to this stable branch for
any additional RCs before the final release.

There have been a few teams that have added cycle-highlights so far. Please get
those added to help in communicating Stein updates. We would like to have all
of those by the RC1 deadline to give marketing time to compile them and come up
with that messaging.

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-March/003597.html

Finally, any cycle-with-intermediary projects that have not done a release
lately - we will need to use the last release point as the branching point for
stable/stein unless you specify an updated one. Please make sure the stable
branch will have everything you would like included to avoid needing to
backport already merged changes.

Upcoming Deadlines & Dates

RC1 deadline: March 21
Final RC deadline: April 1