[tc][ptl][quality-assurance][infra] Switching default node type to ubuntu-bionic

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Mar 7 14:55:01 UTC 2019

We've committed to testing[*] on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver) by
the Stein release, but it's nearly upon us and we still have quite a
few jobs, particularly Python 2.7 unit tests for most projects,
running on older Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) images instead. I
propose that next Wednesday, March 13, we update the default node
type in our Zuul job configurations from ubuntu-xenial to
ubuntu-bionic for master branches of our projects.

Note that most projects are already running Python 3.6 unit testing
which happens on ubuntu-bionic images and DevStack/Tempest testing
is already happening on ubuntu-bionic as well, so the switch for any
job definitions not calling an explicit node type should be a
non-event. Nevertheless, I wanted to start a brief discussion on the
list as we are coming close to RC target week and it would be good
to have the cut-over happen before then as some projects may not see
any additional changes in Stein after their first RC tag.

[*] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/runtimes/stein.html
--
Jeremy Stanley