[neutron][devstack] Using git source for networking devstack based jobs

Boden Russell bodenvmw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 21:23:50 UTC 2019

On 3/5/19 12:15 PM, Sean Mooney wrote:> so personally i would expect the
majority of neutrons gate jobs to used the released versions
> but we proablly coudl have a neutron-next jobs that was bassically the
full tempst job that specifically used master

I wasn't talking about neutron's jobs, but rather other networking
projects that use neutron + other networking projects... But I suspect
the same applies to them as well.

> On Tue, 2019-03-05 at 18:52 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> The primary risk with developing only against unreleased source of
>> your dependencies, when your users expect to deploy your releases
>> with released dependencies, is that you can end up accidentally
>> releasing something which only works with unreleased and potentially
>> unsupported states of its dependencies.

If I understand correctly, that risk only applies to consumers of "beta
releases" during the dev cycle (other openstack projects for testing I'd
guess).
What gets packaged/installed in terms of a release deliverable would
still be tested with dependencies pinned via stable branch contents, not
them from git source.

Is this correct?

I think we may have a special case here in neutron land as part of our
neutron-lib effort [1][2]. We are aggressively rehoming [2] common code
from neutron into neutron-lib and then consuming it in neutron and other
networking projects (currently 20 projects in total). Due to the volume
of code changes involved and the potential for cross-project
dependencies, testing only with tagged releases implies an extra step in
this process that could hinder velocity.

Am I wrong to think that maybe this special case could warrant testing
from git master source rather than tagged releases during the dev cycle?

Or perhaps we just start doing a lot more releases of these networking
projects during the dev cycle?

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/neutron-lib-decouple-db
[2]
https://docs.openstack.org/neutron-lib/latest/contributor/contributing.html