[kolla] Let's switch to Python 3

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Mar 1 15:31:44 UTC 2019

Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> writes:

> On 2019-02-28 20:46:19 +0100 (+0100), Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
>> Python 2 is going bye bye. Everyone knows that, lot of us ignores that.
>> But we need to move on.
> [...]
>> I know that this mail looks a bit chaotic but I think that we need to
>> discuss and plan what we need to do and how. And cooperate with external
>> teams which provide binary packages (that's why Thomas and Haïkel are in
>> Cc:).
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Please also take into account the Python2 Deprecation Timeline
> resolution from the OpenStack Technical Committee:
>
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20180529-python2-deprecation-timeline.html
>
> Effectively, we determined that it's safe for OpenStack projects to
> drop Python2 testing and become Python3-only late this year, after
> the Train release has been tagged. See the final item in the
> numbered list there, "Existing projects under TC governance at the
> time this resolution is accepted must not drop support for Python 2
> before the beginning of the U development cycle (currently
> anticipated for late 2019)."
>
> So please do make sure Kolla is 100% working with Python3 by the
> time Train releases, but keep it working with Python2 until after
> Train is released.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

Any code the Kolla team is building themselves should still support
Python 2 under the deprecation policy, but if all of the projects that
Kolla packages support Python 3, I'm not sure why we would also require
them to package Python 2 versions.

It might be necessary for them to use python 2 versions of some distro
packages for a while, I guess. But I don't see any utility in Kolla
offering its users a choice of which version of Python to use on a given
platform. I would just pick the highest version number that works.

Am I missing something? Maybe we need to clarify the guidelines?

--
Doug