[kolla] Let's switch to Python 3

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin.juszkiewicz at linaro.org
Fri Mar 1 11:21:58 UTC 2019

W dniu 01.03.2019 o 10:43, Mark Goddard pisze:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 19:46, Marcin Juszkiewicz <
> marcin.juszkiewicz at linaro.org> wrote:

>> Python 2 is going bye bye. Everyone knows that, lot of us ignores that.
>> But we need to move on.
>>

> *pulls head out of sand*
>

>> Kolla has few patches to make use of Python3 based binary packages. One
>> for Fedora [1], other for Ubuntu and Debian [2].
>>
>> 1. https://review.openstack.org/624838
>> 2. https://review.openstack.org/625298
>

> There is also the python3 on RHEL8 patch:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/632156/19.

Right.

>> ## Binaries state in distributions
>>
>> Binary ones are built from distribution packages. For
>> RHEL/CentOS/OracleLinux is means RDO packages, for Ubuntu it is UCA and
>> for Debian it is whatever is in distribution repositories.
>>
>> RDO ones are Python 2 based because there is no other version of Python
>> in RHEL7 (I do not count EPEL or SCL).
>>

> Although RHEL8 is python 3 only.

And is not yet released.

>> For Ubuntu we have a mix of Python 2 and Python 3 (from what I heard).
>>
>> Debian needs update to Buster (current 'testing', currently in soft
>> freeze) and then we will get Python 3 packages (currently for Rocky).
>>
>> ### Pip issue
>>
>> On binary distributions we tend to use 'pip' from distribution packages.
>> Which means 8.1.2 for CentOS:7, 9.0.1 for Ubuntu:bionic and 18.1 for
>> Debian:buster.
>>

> For binary images we don't typically use pip, right - so this is just for
> edge cases where a package isn't available?

>From quick look it looks like 'kolla-toolbox' and 'helm-repository'
install from pip everytime. But they can be changed.

>> # WIP plans for T cycle
>>
>> For T cycle we should move whatever possible to Python 3. Which means
>> Debian:buster, Ubuntu:bionic and source images. No idea yet does it
>> involves CentOS:7 source images as well as this would require us to use
>> EPEL repository for Python 3.

> As Jeremy suggests, I think we may need to support both in some cases. That
> may not be possible for binary images - we can only use what is offered by
> distros - but for source images there's no reason (AFAIK) why we can't have
> a config option for the version of python to use. We now [1] have a
> distro_python3 config flag that does this. In hindsight, 'distro' might not
> be the most appropriate name for source images, but hey.

Kolla's code supports both Python 2 and Python 3. So we are covered when
it comes to 'Python2 Deprecation Timeline' in my opinion.

Images built by Kolla support whatever binaries require. For source
based images we will have to keep some kind of py2/3 but imho we should
clearly define which distros are py2 and which are py3 and keep that way.

So for example Debian and Ubuntu will be Python 3 based for both binary
and source type of images.

> ## Always bootstrap pip
>>
>> Due to 'pip' issue we may need to bootstrap latest version in each type
>> of images. This will give us simple 'pip' command in each image
>> nevermind which version of Python is used. That saves us from dealing
>> with "is it 'pip' or 'pip3' we need to use" thing.

> Although that question is fairly trivial if there is a config option for
> the python version.
>
> I think Martin Andre would have an issue with this, given his recent work
> on trying to evict non-distro stuff from binary images.

We need to take a look and probably change those images to use binaries
from distros for binary types.

>> ## Create new variables
>>
>> There will be few different versions of Python in use: 2.7 (RHEL7
>> family), 3.6 (Ubuntu:bionic and RHEL7/EPEL), 3.7 (Debian:buster). As we
>> tend to modify some files or need to know where Python modules are
>> present. We may use values from 'sys.path' list for it or create
>> 'python_path' (or similar) variable and set it per distribution/image_type.
>>
>> Also, RHEL8/CentOS8 will be 3.6, Fedora 28 is 3.7?

Fedora 28 is at 3.6.8 now. For 3.7 you need Fedora 29.

>> # Some kind of work items list
>>
>> 1. Move Debian to 'buster' release. https://review.openstack.org/612681
>> 2. Bootstrap 'pip' in all image types.
>> 3. Move source images to Python 3 (Debian, Ubuntu for sure, no idea yet
>>    about CentOS).

> s/Move/Add support for/

Will see how much work it will require and how it will complicate files.

>> 4. Move binary images to Python 3 (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora/RHEL8)
>>
>> Each step will require several build/test/fix cycles. We also need to
>> identify which images still require Python 2.
>>

> Time for a big table.

The good part is that 'Python2 Deprecation Timeline' requires all
OpenStack projects to be Python 3 during Train so for some images it may
be "mark as broken now, pester devs to comply".