[nova] snapshots default to qcow2

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Fri Mar 1 10:14:59 UTC 2019

Hi and sorry for the noise, I would like to add something to this thread.

Apparently the 'disk_format' property of a glance image that was
created as a snapshot of a volume based instance has a different
impact than it has on instances created from regular glance images.

To summarize (backend for nova, cinder and glance is ceph):

1. Creating an instance from a (regular) glance image with
'disk_format = qcow2' results in a flat nova instance with no parent
data (as reported in [1]).

2. Creating a snapshot of a volume based nova instance unexpectedly
results in a glance image with 'disk_format = qcow2'. Launching an
instance from that snapshot does *not* result in a flat image as I
would have expected because of 1. Instead the new instance is a
cow-clone of the original volume, which in fact is expected because of
ceph backend.

So the workflow seems fine, but I find it very confusing (obviously)
that the volume based snapshot is declared as a qcow2 image, that
doesn't seem right to me.
It would be great to hear your opinions on this topic, maybe I don't
get the concept. But if my explanation makes sense it would be great
to find a solution for this.

Best regards,
Eugen