[kolla] Let's switch to Python 3

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin.juszkiewicz at linaro.org
Wed Mar 13 10:21:54 UTC 2019

W dniu 28.02.2019 o 20:46, Marcin Juszkiewicz pisze:
> Python 2 is going bye bye. Everyone knows that, lot of us ignores that.
> But we need to move on.

Some time passed so I though that would be good to write some kind of
summary.

We have several patches in queue.

With all of them applied we have Debian:buster using only Python3
(binary/source) in all images. There are exceptions - all images which
install 'ceph-common' package (or anything depending on it) get Python 2
as a bonus.

For Ubuntu:18.04 situation is similar - Python3 in all images,
'ceph-common' fetching Python 2. But there are several Py3 packages
depending on Py2 ones so most of images contain two versions of Python.

We got initial support for RHEL8 based containers. Not digged much into it.

CentOS 7 stays at Python 2 for now.