[placement][docs][packaging] rpm- and deb- related placement install docs

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Jun 19 17:14:01 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-06-19 at 16:57 +0100, Chris Dent wrote:
> The placement install docs [1] have the following warning plastered
> on top:
>
>      These installation documents are a work in progress. Some of the
>      distribution packages mentioned are not yet available so the
>      instructions will not work.
>
> It is likely that packages are now available, but the docs have not
> been updated to reflect that, nor have the docs been verified
> against those packages.
>
> None of the regular and active contributors to placement are
> involved with distro-related packaging. In addition they are all
> already fully booked. Are there members of the community who are
> involved with the distros, and who can update and verify these docs?
from an RPM perspective the validation should like be done with RDO rpms
and centos/fedora. aproching this from a product perspective while
redhat OSP will contain RPM for placment OSP from 13+
is only supporot if the installation is done via OSP Director (tripleo)
which uses docker contaienr that are prebuilt and hosted on a redhat registry

so from a RHEL/OSP pserspectinv direcly inalling placment via the RPM is not
a supported way of using of deploying placmenet. that said we will
be using the rpm to build the container image so the bits will be identicaly
so it should work but for the docs to be useful i think the RPM docs
shoudl not refernece rhel or osp and focus just on the cenots/fedora based install
and the RDO rpms. assuming we keep the distro docs that is.

> If not, we will likely need to remove the distro related install
> documents before the end of the Train release and solely maintain
> the install-from-pypi docs [2] (which are up to date). This is
> because the existing docs are now misleading, and thus potentially
> dangerous and extra-work-inducing, as suggested by a recent bug [3].
im not really invovled in any of the packaging but in theory placement would fall
under the remit of the Compute DFG which im in so ill bring this up internally and
see if we can help with this but i also think its perfectly fair to just
document the pip/git installation workflow and leave the distor stuff to distors
to document downstream if they supprot that.