[SIG][WG] Shanghai PTG Changes

Kendall Nelson kennelson11 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 22:56:37 UTC 2019

Hello All,

After Denver we were able to take time to reflect on the improvements we
can make now that the PTG will occur immediately following the summit for
the near future. While Shanghai will have its own set of variables, it's
still good to reevaluate how we allocate time for groups and how we
structure the week overall.

tldr;

- No BoFs, try to focus more specific discussions into topics for the Forum
and follow up with PTG slot for more general conversations
- PTG slots can be as short as 1/4 of a day
- More shared space at the Shanghai venue, less dedicated space
- New breakdown: 1.5 days of Forum and 3.5 days of PTG
- Survey will be out in a few weeks for requesting PTG space

For many of you (and myself as FC SIG Chair) there were a lot of different
ways to get time to talk about topics. There was the forum, there were BoF
sessions you could request, and there was also the option of having PTG
sessions. Using the FC SIG as an example, we had two forum sessions (I
think?), a BoF, and a half day at the PTG. This was WAY too much time for
us. We didn't realize it when we were asking for space all the different
ways, but we ended up with a lot of redundant discussions and time in which
we didn't do much but just chat (which was great, but not the best use of
the time/space since we could have done that in a hallway and not a
dedicated room).

To account for this duplication, we are going to get rid of the BoF
mechanism for asking for space since largely the topics discussed there
could be more cleanly divided into feedback focused Forum sessions and PTG team
discussion time. The tentative plan is to try to condense as many of the
SIG/WGs PTG slots towards the start of the PTG as we can so that they will
more or less immediately follow the forum so that you can focus on making
action items out of the conversations had and the feedback received at the
Forum.

We will also offer a smaller granularity of time that you can request at
the PTG. Previously, a half day slot was as small as you could request;
this time we will be offering 1/4 day slots (we found with more than one
SIG/WG that even at a half day they were done in an hour and a half with
all that they needed to talk about).

The venue itself (similar to Denver) will have a few large rooms for bigger
teams to meet, however, most teams will meet in shared space. That being
said, we will add to the PTGbot more clearly defined locations in the
shared space so its easier to find groups in shared spaces.

I regret to inform you that, again, projection will be a very limited
commodity. Yeah.. please don't shoot the messenger. Due to using mainly
shared space, projection is just something we are not able to offer.

The other change I haven't already mentioned is that we are going to have
the PTG start a half day early. Instead of only being 3 days like in
Denver, we are going to add more time to the PTG and subtract a half day
from the Forum. Basically the breakdown will be 1.5 Forum and 3.5 PTG with
the Summit overlapping the first two days.

I will be sending the PTG survey out to SIG Chairs/ WG Leads in a couple
weeks with a few changes.

-Kendall Nelson (diablo_rojo)