How to restart DevStack

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Fri Jul 19 16:04:31 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-07-19 at 08:55 -0500, Dean Troyer wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 5:18 AM Lingxian Kong <anlin.kong at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > As far as I know, it'd better run "./unstack.sh; ./clear.sh" before running "./stack.sh", because some devstack
> > > plugins are not idempotent.
>
> unstack.sh and clean.sh are meant to be used to prepare for a new run
> of stack.sh without a reboot.
>
> unstack.sh stops all services to prepare for stack.sh to bring them up
> in a predictable order.
>
> clean.sh is more geared for major configuration changes like changing
> databases or message queues.  It runs unstack.sh then goes to some
> effort to remove generated files and certain packages because we found
> services <cough rabbitmq> did not always restart cleanly early on, and
> changing databases needs package attention too.  If you are not making
> any configuration changes, both unstack and clean should be
> unnecessary after a reboot.
>
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 6:29 AM Donny Davis <donny at fortnebula.com> wrote:
> > I would also imagine it's better to run those before you do the shutdown or restart.
>
> If you are not making major config changes between runs this should
> not be necessary.  The idea of needing a clean shutdown is less
> important when all data involved is going to be deleted and re-created
> on the next stack.sh run anyway.
for what its worth most service restart probly after reboot now that we use systemd.
cinder i belive breaks on reboothing a devstack host but nova, keystone, horizon, glance, placment and neutron all work
fine if i remember correctly

it really would not take much to get all the service to work i have not looked at why cinder didint restart properly but
is proably something trival like a service it depens on is not enabled to start by default like tgtd or somehting