How to restart DevStack

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 13:55:57 UTC 2019

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 5:18 AM Lingxian Kong <anlin.kong at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As far as I know, it'd better run "./unstack.sh; ./clear.sh" before running "./stack.sh", because some devstack plugins are not idempotent.

unstack.sh and clean.sh are meant to be used to prepare for a new run
of stack.sh without a reboot.

unstack.sh stops all services to prepare for stack.sh to bring them up
in a predictable order.

clean.sh is more geared for major configuration changes like changing
databases or message queues.  It runs unstack.sh then goes to some
effort to remove generated files and certain packages because we found
services <cough rabbitmq> did not always restart cleanly early on, and
changing databases needs package attention too.  If you are not making
any configuration changes, both unstack and clean should be
unnecessary after a reboot.

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 6:29 AM Donny Davis <donny at fortnebula.com> wrote:
> I would also imagine it's better to run those before you do the shutdown or restart.

If you are not making major config changes between runs this should
not be necessary.  The idea of needing a clean shutdown is less
important when all data involved is going to be deleted and re-created
on the next stack.sh run anyway.

dt

--
Dean Troyer