[tripleo] Roadmap to simplify TripleO

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 17:52:29 UTC 2019

Even though TripleO is well known for its maturity, it also has a
reputation of being complex when it comes to the number of tools that it
uses.
Somewhat related to the efforts that James is leading with "Scaling
TripleO" [1] [2], I would like to formalize our joint efforts to make
TripleO simpler in the future. Some work has been done over the last
releases already and yet we have seen net benefits; however we still have
challenges ahead of us.

- With no UI anymore, do we really need an API?
- How can we reduce the number of languages in TripleO? ... and make Python
+ Ansible the main ones.
- How can we reduce our dependencies?

I created a document which explains the problems and propose some solutions:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vY9rsccgp7NHFXpLtCFTHQm14F15Tij7lhn5X_P14Ys
For those who can't or don't want Google Doc, I've put together the notes
into etherpad [3] and I'll take care of making sure it's updated at last at
the beginning until we sort things out.

Feel free to be involved:
- comment or suggest edits if you have feedback / ideas
- sign-up if you're interested to contribute

For now I expect this document to be a clear place what our plan is but I
wouldn't be surprised if in the future we break it down into specs /
blueprints / etc for better tracking.

Thanks,

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12tPc4NC5fo8ytGuFZ4DSZXXyzes1x3U7oYz9neaPP_o/edit