[placement] [tc] PTL not going to summit?

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Jul 4 15:04:46 UTC 2019

I've decided [1] that I'm going to resist going to tech conferences
and summits in particular by air travel, unless it becomes an
existential issue. For a variety of reasons described in [1] and the
two other posts it links to.

I know for some people that this will present some concerns about my
efficacy as PTL of placement, so I thought I better mention it
sooner than later so we can make some decisions on how we want to
proceed:

* Should I take myself out of the running for U PTL? In which case
   we need to get a shadow warmed up.

* If I'm not there, but still PTL, should we still hold the usual
   regularly placement things (project update and onboarding, PTG
   things)? In which case we need to prepare chairs/moderators for
   those sessions.

Given my positions on the exclusive properties of conferences, I'd
prefer that we turn update and onboarding activities into
asynchronous, document-oriented affairs that anyone can utilize at
any time, not just those wanting and able to go to summit.

Similarly, given how useful the placement pre-PTG was for Train, the
very small amount of time spent discussing placement issues in
person in Denver, and the team's strategy of focusing on a
relatively small number of changes, I'm not certain we need "time"
in Shanghai. We can spread that work out.

Thoughts or questions from anyone?

[1] https://anticdent.org/remote-maintainership.html

freenode: cdent