[all] Is the Denver Summit save?

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Jan 29 17:51:31 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-29 10:56 a.m., Chris Morgan wrote:
> Frank, just to clarify, is your question "is it safe for us to go to
> denver?" i.e. Deutsch Telekom employees, given that the US just made very
> serious allegations against a fellow open stack contributing telecom
> company?
>
> Chris
>
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 2:56 AM Frank Kloeker <eumel at arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> Good morning,
>>
>> just a question, out of curiosity: Is the Denver Summit save? I mean, we
>> received a lot of breaking news in the morning, that Huawei is charged
>> in court and is doing a lot of bad things (i.e. stolen a robotics arm).
>> I don't want to bring in any political discussions. But surely as you
>> know, Huawei is one of the top contributor to our Open Source project.
>> They work hard and do not need to steal things. Is there any chance that
>> one of our friends will be caught next? At the summit between political
>> fronts? I feel a little uncomfortable with it.
>> We are an open community and should clarify this inconsistency.
>>
>> kind regards
>>
>> Frank

One of the things I think we can agree on in an open source community is
the importance of making decisions about our own behaviour as
individuals, based on facts.

I don't have an answer to the question posed. I do have some suggestions
for those interested on how to access facts in this matter.

I find that reading multiple news sources on a given issue to be very
helpful as I try to understand the full picture.

In this matter, I find that reading Canadian news sources, cbc.ca/news,
thestar.com (you will be prompted to subscribe, you don't have to
subscribe), and globeandmail.com (some articles are for subscribers
only) to be very useful. The Canadian news site nationalpost.com used to
be a source I read often, but now I believe all articles are for
subscribers only.

Internationally I find bbc.co.uk helpful.

Thank you,
Anita