[tc] Technical Committee status update

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Jan 28 20:57:52 UTC 2019

This is a summary of work being done by the Technical Committee
members. The full list of active items is managed in the wiki:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

We also track TC objectives for the cycle using StoryBoard at:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Recent Activity ==

Project updates:

* Renat Akhmerov has replaced Dougal Matthews as Mistral PTL
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/625537/

* The Sahara team added repositories for extracting their plugins
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/628210/

* The murano-deployment repository was retired
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/628860/

* The assert:supports-upgrade tag was added to watcher
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/619470/

* The openstack-virtual-baremetal repository was added to the TripleO
  team
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/631028/

* The charm-interface-cinder-backend repository was added to the
  OpenStack Charms project
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/631251/

* The puppet-stackalytics repository has been retired
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/631820/

Other updates:

* Zane drafted a resolution about how we should choose which Python
  versions to track
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/613145/

* Sean updated the PTI to reflect the runtimes supported for Stein
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/611080/

* Thierry and Chris drafted a description of the role of the TC
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/622400/

* I added a "house rule" for approving simple documentation changes
  without requiring a full TC vote
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/625005/

* Jeremy updated the technical vision to cover hiding implementation details
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/628181/

== TC Meetings ==

The most recent TC meeting was on 3 January. Logs were sent to the
mailing list after the meeting.

* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-January/001376.html

The next TC meeting will be 7 February @ 1400 UTC in #openstack-tc. See
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#Technical_Committee_Meeting for details

== Ongoing Discussions ==

Frank has proposed a list of translators as ATCs for the i18n team.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/633398/

Ganshyam is working on updating the technical vision to cover feature discovery.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/621516/

Jean-Philippe has proposed adding openSUSE to the list of supported platforms in the PTI.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/633460/

== Contacting the TC ==

The Technical Committee uses a series of weekly "office hour" time
slots for synchronous communication. We hope that by having several
such times scheduled, we will have more opportunities to engage
with members of the community from different timezones.

Office hour times in #openstack-tc:

- 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
- 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
- 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

If you have something you would like the TC to discuss, you can add
it to our office hour conversation starter etherpad at:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-office-hour-conversation-starters

Many of us also run IRC bouncers which stay in #openstack-tc most
of the time, so please do not feel that you need to wait for an
office hour time to pose a question or offer a suggestion. You can
use the string "tc-members" to alert the members to your question.

You will find channel logs with past conversations at
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/

If you expect your topic to require significant discussion or to
need input from members of the community other than the TC, please
start a mailing list discussion on openstack-discuss at lists.openstack.org
and use the subject tag "[tc]" to bring it to the attention of TC
members.

--
Doug