[nova] [placement] [packaging] placement extraction check in meeting

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 19:29:12 UTC 2019

On 1/14/2019 12:01 PM, Chris Dent wrote:
> As discussed in the recent pupdate [1] there will be a meeting this
> Wednesday at 1700 UTC to discuss the current state of the placement
> extraction and get some idea on the critical items that need to be
> addressed to feel comfy.
>
> If you're interested in this topic, meet near that time in the
> #openstack-placement IRC channel and someone will produce links
> for a hangout, etherpad, whatever is required.
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-January/001666.html

Here is my attempt at summarizing the call we had. Notes are in the
etherpad [1].

Deployment tools:

* Lee is working on TripleO support for extracted placement and
estimates 3 more weeks for just deploy (base install) support to be
done, and at least 3 more weeks for upgrade support after that. Read
Lee's status update for details [2].
* If nova were to go ahead and drop placement code and require extracted
placement before TripleO is ready, they would have to pin nova to a git
SHA before that which would delay their Stein release.
* Having the extraction span release boundaries would ease the upgrade
pain for TripleO.

Nested providers / reshaper / VGPU:

* VGPU reshaper work for nested resource providers in libvirt and xenapi
drivers has stalled and there is still hesitation to move forward with
extracting placement before that reshape flow, including in an upgrade,
is tested to know that nova does not need any last minute data
migrations which require direct access to the placement database. In
other words, we have not yet confirmed that the placement reshaper API
will be fully sufficient until a real driver is using it.
* Matt (me!) has agreed to rebase and address the comments on the
libvirt patch [3] to try and push that forward.
* We still need someone to write a functional test which creates a
server with a flat resource structure, reshapes that to nested, and then
creates another server against the same provider tree.

Data migration:

* The only placement-specific online data migration in nova is
"create_incomplete_consumers" and we agreed to copy that into placement
and add a placement-status upgrade check for it. The data migration code
will build on top of Tetsuro's work [4]. Matt is signed up to work on
both of those commands.

Miscellaneous:

* Placement release notes will start at the current release and
reference the nova release notes for anything older (Ocata->Rocky).
* Chris is already working on some other things like docs and small
governance changes (os-traits), but those are all on hold until the
placement code in nova is dropped which is dependent on the deployment
tooling support and reshaper changes above.
* We agreed to checkpoint again in three weeks so Wednesday February 6
at let's say the same time, 1700 UTC.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/placement-extract-stein-5
[2]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-January/001783.html