[dev][oslo] oslo.cache and dogpile 0.7.0+ cache errors

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Feb 28 14:39:06 UTC 2019

On 2/27/19 4:42 PM, Ian Wienand wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 01:04:38PM -0600, Ben Nemec wrote:
>> To close the loop on this, we just merged a unit test fix that unblocks
>> oslo.cache ci. We'll continue to work on sorting out where these tests
>> should live as a followup.
>
> I haven't really followed this problem, but just to point out that we
> added dogpile.cache to zuul's projects and added tests against master
> to the nodepool "-src" functional tests [1] after the interesting
> issues we had between it and openstacksdk a while ago.
>
> Thus I'm certain you could get some form of smoke-test job running
> against dogpile master, and that would respect depends-on for pull
> requests, etc.  This can help avoid fire-drills on release days.
>
> Myself or anyone in #openstack-infra would be happy to help, I'm sure :)

Thanks, will keep that in mind. In this case the problem was that one of
our unit tests was actually testing dogpile instead of oslo.cache and it
was relying on some semi-broken behavior in dogpile. When dogpile fixed
that behavior the test started failing.

So in this case I'm not sure functional tests would have found anything
since nothing functional actually broke (in fact, something started
working). That said, if someone wanted to add a test against master
dogpile I would be in favor of that. Even if it wouldn't have helped in
this case, we do have a strong dependency on dogpile.