[nova] Updates about Detaching/Attaching root volumes

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 02:10:52 UTC 2019

On 2/27/2019 7:41 PM, Zhenyu Zheng wrote:
> There is something I don't quite understand, what will be different for
> the volumes that are newly attached and
> the existing volumes in case you mentioned? I mean, the existing volumes
> could also have tags, and when
> we unshelve,  we still have to handle the tags in bdms, no matter it is
> existing bdms or newly atteched when the
> instance is in ``shelved_offloaded`` status. What is the difference?

There isn't, it's a bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1817927

Which is why I think we should probably lift the restriction in the API
so that users can attach volumes with tags to a shelved offloaded instance.

I'm not really comfortable with adding root volume detach/attach support
if the user cannot specify a new tag when attaching a new root volume,
and to do that we have to remove that restriction on tags + shelved
offloaded servers in the API.

Matt