[dev][keystone] Keystone Team Update - Week of 4 February 2019

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 14:53:23 UTC 2019

On 2/9/19 8:27 AM, Colleen Murphy wrote:
> # Keystone Team Update - Week of 4 February 2019
>
> ## News
>
> ### Performance of Loading Fernet/JWT Key Repositories
>
> Lance noticed that it seems that token signing/encryption keys are loaded from disk on every request and is therefore not very performant, and started investigating ways we could improve this[1][2].

I didn't come to a conclusion on if the performance hit was due to the
actual reading of something from disk, if it was because we loop through
each available key until we find one that works, or if it was because I
completely disabled token caching. The obvious worst case in this
scenario is trying the right key, last - O(n). This is the approach I
was using to preemptively identify which public key needs to be used to
validate a JWT [0].

Ultimately, I need some more information/constraints from wxy [1].
Possibly something we can start in anther thread.

[0] https://pasted.tech/pastes/c10a774a9d17e1743f7a6543031b8c43d930906c.raw
[1]
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/614549/13/keystone/token/providers/jws/core.py

> [1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-keystone/%23openstack-keystone.2019-02-07.log.html#t2019-02-07T17:55:34
> [2] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-keystone/%23openstack-keystone.2019-02-08.log.html#t2019-02-08T17:09:24
>
> ## Recently Merged Changes
>
> Search query: https://bit.ly/2pquOwT
>
> We merged 10 changes this week.
>
> ## Changes that need Attention
>
> Search query: https://bit.ly/2RLApdA
>
> There are 73 changes that are passing CI, not in merge conflict, have no negative reviews and aren't proposed by bots.
>
> ## Bugs
>
> This week we opened 2 new bugs and closed 3.
>
> Bugs opened (2)
> Bug #1814589 (keystone:High) opened by Guang Yee https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1814589
> Bug #1814570 (keystone:Medium) opened by Guang Yee https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1814570
>
> Bugs fixed (3)
> Bug #1804483 (keystone:Medium) fixed by Lance Bragstad https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1804483
> Bug #1805406 (keystone:Medium) fixed by Lance Bragstad https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1805406
> Bug #1801095 (keystone:Wishlist) fixed by Artem Vasilyev https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1801095
>
> ## Milestone Outlook
>
> https://releases.openstack.org/stein/schedule.html
>
> Feature freeze is in four weeks. Be mindful of the gate and try to submit and review things early.
>
> ## Shout-outs
>
> Congratulations and thank you to our Outreachy intern Islam for completing the first step in refactoring our unit tests to lean on our shiny new Flask framework! Great work!

++