[ironic] Hardware leasing with Ironic

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 14:03:30 UTC 2019

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 7:34 AM Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:09:07PM +0100, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> > Some first steps have been done:
> > http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ironic-specs/specs/not-implemented/ownership-field.html.
> > We need someone to drive the futher design and implementation
> > though.
>
> That spec seems to be for a strictly informational field. Reading
> through it, I guess it's because doing something like this...
>
>     openstack baremetal node set --property owner=lars
>
> ...leads to sub-optimal performance when trying to filter a large
> number of hosts.  I see that it's merged already, so I guess this is
> commenting-after-the-fact, but that seems like the wrong path to
> follow: I can see properties like "the contract id under which this
> system was purchased" being as or more important than "owner" from a
> large business perspective, so making it easier to filter by property
> on the server side would seem to be a better solution.
>
> Or implement full multi-tenancy so that "owner" is more than simply
> informational, of course :).

My original thought was more enable multi-purpose usage and should we
ever get to a point where we want to offer filtered views by saying a
baremetal_user can only see machines whose owner is set by their
tenant. Sub-optimal for sure, but in order not to break
baremetal_admin level usage we have to have a compromise. The
alternative that comes to mind is build a new permission matrix model
that delineates the two, but at some point someone is still the
"owner" and is responsible for the hardware. The details we kind of
want to keep out of storage and consideration in ironic are the more
CMDB-ish details that would things like contracts and acquisition
dates.

The other things we should consider is "Give me a physical machine"
versus "I have my machines, I need to use them" approaches and such a
model. I suspect this is quickly becoming a Forum worthy session.