[ironic] Hardware leasing with Ironic

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 15:26:52 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:09:07PM +0100, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> Some first steps have been done:
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ironic-specs/specs/not-implemented/ownership-field.html.
> We need someone to drive the futher design and implementation
> though.

That spec seems to be for a strictly informational field. Reading
through it, I guess it's because doing something like this...

    openstack baremetal node set --property owner=lars

...leads to sub-optimal performance when trying to filter a large
number of hosts.  I see that it's merged already, so I guess this is
commenting-after-the-fact, but that seems like the wrong path to
follow: I can see properties like "the contract id under which this
system was purchased" being as or more important than "owner" from a
large business perspective, so making it easier to filter by property
on the server side would seem to be a better solution.

Or implement full multi-tenancy so that "owner" is more than simply
informational, of course :).

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {irc,twitter,github}
http://blog.oddbit.com/                |