[all] Two months with openstack-discuss (another progress report)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Feb 3 02:30:07 UTC 2019

This is just a quick followup to see how things have progressed
since we cut the old openstack, openstack-dev, openstack-operators
and openstack-sigs mailing lists over to openstack-discuss two
months ago, as compared to my previous report[*] from the one-month
anniversary. We're still seeing a fair number of posts from
non-subscribers landing in the moderation queue (around one or two a
day, sometimes more, sometimes less) but most of them are newcomers
and many subscribe immediately after receiving the moderation
notice.

We're now at 830 subscribers to openstack-discuss (up from 708 in
the previous report). 75% of the addresses used to send 10 or more
messages to the old lists in 2018 are now subscribed to the new one
(it was 70% a month ago). While posting volume is up compared to
December (unsurprising given the usual end-of-year holiday slump),
we only had a total of 958 posts over the month of January;
comparing to the 1196 from January 2018 that's a 20% drop which
(considering that right at 10% of the messages on the old lists were
duplicates from cross-posting), is still less of a drop than was
typical on average across the old lists over the previous five
Januaries.

One change worth mentioning: we noticed a rash of bounce-disabled
subscriptions triggered by messages occasionally containing invalid
DKIM signatures (inconsistently for some posters, fairly
consistently for a few others). We're unsure as of yet whether the
messages are arriving with invalid signatures or whether Mailman is
modifying them in unanticipated ways prior to forwarding, but have
re-enabled all affected subscribers and temporarily turned off the
automatic subscription disabling feature while investigation is
underway. If you missed receiving some messages which are present in
the list archive, that's quite possibly the cause. Apologies for the
inconvenience!

[*] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-January/001386.html
--
Jeremy Stanley