[all] Volunteer mailing list administrators

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Dec 17 19:43:52 UTC 2019

On 2019-12-17 20:17:04 +0100 (+0100), Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> While I understand the reasoning behind the decision, me being me
> I must throw in my 2 cents: I think you have chosen 3 folks in
> much the same timezone. I might be mistaken but based on knowing
> myself and mail domains of others I expect we are all in timezones
> GMT+1/+2 It might be handy to have someone in timezones more
> suited for China and USA as well. :-)
[...]

It can't hurt to add more folks, but so far we've gotten by for over
a year with one moderator so having several in similar timezones to
start out shouldn't be much of a regression. I tend to only look at
the queue once or maybe twice a day anyway, at fairly random times,
so timezone coverage hasn't seemed crucial for this as I've received
no complaints yet about anything awaiting moderation. The greater
concern is making sure there's someone around to look at it
occasionally when others are on extended absence. The notifications
senders get back when a message lands in moderation tends to be
self-explanatory, and tells them that they can subscribe or trim the
size of their message and then try again (and hopefully also cancel
the earlier one) if it's urgent and they don't want to wait for a
moderator to approve the previous attempt.

In a couple of weeks I'll be back on duty during Americas daylight
hours too, so maybe looking for a volunteer in an APAC timezone
makes sense after the first of the year? It doesn't seem
particularly urgent, but it's a fine suggestion. Thanks again!
--
Jeremy Stanley