Finding configuration values

Albert Braden Albert.Braden at synopsys.com
Thu Dec 12 21:34:04 UTC 2019

This thread consists of 6 emails, all from me:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-December/011465.html

This illustrates a problem I've seen in Openstack. Many of the configuration settings are undocumented, or the documentation is obscure. The only way for an openstack operator to know the correct setting is to be told by an openstack developer.

Sometimes I get lucky and someone tells me the answer on IRC, or here on the list. Sometimes nobody does, and then it seems that I am stuck. I have to keep bugging the developers until they tell me the answer. In this case, after searching for a week, I opened a Neutron bug, and then one of the Neutron developers told me how to fix my config.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a document I should be reading, that tells how to configure openstack? Why are there no answers in #openstack? Does everyone else have this same issue, or is it only me? How can Openstack operators find out how to configure Openstack, besides begging the developers for the answer?