What's the best recommendation of cache solution for Openstack services?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 13:58:00 UTC 2019

On 12/4/2019 8:03 PM, 양유석 wrote:
> Hi, stackers.
>
> I wonder how other system deal with the problem we encountered. Any
> advice would be appreciated.
>
> He had a over 1000 hypervisors and hit some connection bottleneck in a
> DB. The DB instance handle all Openstack services (nova, neutron,
> cinder, glance ...)
>
> Also, we have some additional systems (kubernetes, consul...) which
> periodically request openstack API.
>
> Since most of request from additional systems is READ, I am trying to
> find cache approach for Openstack service. Although some services like
> keystone has their own caching layer, I could not find general
> solutions.
>
> Is there any project to solve this problem (reduce DB overhead in a
> lot of read overhead)
> I found oslo.cache only provide decorator for a function, so wonder
> there is any service level approach.
>
> Thanks

It's not a cache but if you're looking for help with READ load you could
setup a read-only copy of the nova database(s) and configure a slave
connection:

https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/config.html#api_database.slave_connection

Like the oslo.cache usage in nova, that's also on a per-function/query
basis and it's been awhile since there was a concentrated effort on
making more queries able to read from the slave connection, but if there
are more that could be identified as beneficial to use that read-only
connection then I'm sure patches would be welcome.

Matt