[qa][openstackclient] Debugging devstack slowness

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Aug 15 20:57:36 UTC 2019

On 8/14/19 8:49 PM, Ian Wienand wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:07:01PM -0500, Ben Nemec wrote:
>> I have a PoC patch up in devstack[0] to start using the openstack-server
>> client. It passed the basic devstack test and looking through the logs you
>> can see that openstack calls are now completing in fractions of a second as
>> opposed to 2.5 to 3, so I think it's working as intended.
>
> I see this as having a couple of advantages
>
> * no bespoke API interfacing code to maintain
> * the wrapper is custom but pretty small
> * plugins can benefit by using the same wrapper
> * we can turn the wrapper off and fall back to the same calls directly
>    with the client (also good for local interaction)
> * in a similar theme, it's still pretty close to "what I'd type on the
>    command line to do this" which is a bit of a devstack theme
>
> So FWIW I'm positive on the direction, thanks!
>
> -i
>
> (some very experienced people have said "we know it's slow" and I
> guess we should take advice on if this is a temporary work-around, or
> an actual solution)

Okay, I've got https://review.opendev.org/#/c/676016/ passing devstack
ci now and I think it's ready for initial review. I don't know if
everything I'm doing will fly with the devstack folks, but the reasons
why should be covered in the commit message. I'm open to suggestions on
alternate ways to accomplish the same things.