[qa][openstackclient] Debugging devstack slowness

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Thu Aug 15 01:49:57 UTC 2019

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:07:01PM -0500, Ben Nemec wrote:
> I have a PoC patch up in devstack[0] to start using the openstack-server
> client. It passed the basic devstack test and looking through the logs you
> can see that openstack calls are now completing in fractions of a second as
> opposed to 2.5 to 3, so I think it's working as intended.

I see this as having a couple of advantages

* no bespoke API interfacing code to maintain
* the wrapper is custom but pretty small
* plugins can benefit by using the same wrapper
* we can turn the wrapper off and fall back to the same calls directly
  with the client (also good for local interaction)
* in a similar theme, it's still pretty close to "what I'd type on the
  command line to do this" which is a bit of a devstack theme

So FWIW I'm positive on the direction, thanks!

-i

(some very experienced people have said "we know it's slow" and I
guess we should take advice on if this is a temporary work-around, or
an actual solution)